Saturday, May 30, 2015

My Generation Baby

Born a Generation Too Late

I’ve often maintained that I was born at least one generation too late. Why? Because I believe as Robert Bork portrayed in his 1996  book,  “Slouching Towards Gomorrah”, that American society is on a fast slide down to “Hell in a hand basket” and I’m sick and tired of it. Selfishly, I would like to have been part of (with my wife and kids), the generation encompassing 1925-1945. This is the last generation that openly, collectively valued God, motherhood/family, and country.

Tom Brokaw calls it the “Greatest Generation”, and I’m not in disagreement. However, I like to focus on it being the last “classy generation”. Just talk to people from that time, or watch movies produced (be very careful about contemporary movies portraying that era), then. Yes, people were just as inherently sinful and in need of Jesus, but often they conducted themselves more like how I would imagine a Christian society would. They dressed nicer, talked nicer, followed rules and etiquette.
Public park summer 1960: men in suits, shirt sleeves and slacks, uniforms ; women in dresses, uniforms; kids dressed appropriately. Modest, sensible dress for the most part. People quietly talking or reading; gentlemen looking out for ladies (perhaps being extra careful of their language around ladies and children).
Public park summer 2015: Sometimes not sure if it’s a man or woman. Dressed (maybe undressed is more accurate), in almost anything. Man or woman: shorts of some kind and varying fits/lengths, t-shirts, ditto; with anything imaginable written or portrayed on it. Tattoos everywhere (I mean everywhere), profanity (this includes women and children), and a large disregard for rules/etiquette.

Of course there are always exceptions, but as a general rule this reality can’t be denied. In 2 Timothy 3 we are told that those of us wanting to live Godly lives will be persecuted. In a sense, these assaults on our senses are a form of persecution. Granted, they don’t compare to the outright physical atrocities committed against Christians in other parts of the world, but they are a subtle spiritual persecution. When you can’t go anywhere with your children without seeing offensive billboards, bumper/window stickers, t-shirts, magazine covers, etc. ad nauseam; you know we're living in a 2 Timothy society.

Edmund Burke is quoted: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Ah, how right he was/is! I'm not suggesting that Christians run around defacing billboards, tearing off stickers, and generally confronting people about their boorish behavior (but part of me likes the idea). But voice your disapproval of such things when given the opportunity. If you can, contribute to organizations that fight to maintain decency in society. Yes, it's ultimately a losing battle, but we're called to "...fight the good fight." Fallen man is going to continue to drag society down the slippery slope until Jesus decides:  enough is enough!

Yes, it would have been nice to be part of the "Greatest Generation", but God has seen fit to put me and my family where/when we are. Therefore, we will do all we can to emulate those of that era and bring a little light to a darkening world.

2 comments:

  1. I feel very much the same. I'm in my mid 30s, and I've felt all my life like I belonged much earlier in time, back in the 1940s or earlier. It would have been much easier to "fit in" back then.

    Then again, in might have been harder to be "in the world, but not of the world" when the worldly people were similar to the Christians. Now it gets easier and easier to see the difference.

    ReplyDelete