Sunday, October 15, 2017

That Pig is Wearing Lipstick!

I wish this piece didn’t have to be written (well it doesn’t have to be, I get it), because it hits pretty close to home.  But, as Aaron Watson sings about in Fence Post: People like when you keep it real (well, at least as long as they agree).
Years ago I read an article by a Christian pointing out that country music was just as guilty as secular rock music in promoting a morally bankrupt lifestyle. At the time (and now) I’m not sure it’s as bad, but it certainly can be bad enough. In an ironic twist, country could be considered worse just based on its hypocrisy; packaging itself as wholesome (you know, God, Country, Mama). I have to at least give rock points for being unashamedly hedonistic.
Being in high school and college in the 70’s I was a pretty big fan of most of the popular rock groups of this era. Some would argue (I would agree) that it was the greatest era for rock music if you wanted loud, powerful, guitar driven bands, and lots of them. However, by the mid 80’s I started to really feel the pull of the Holy Spirit to make Jesus the Lord of my life. Coinciding with that, I found myself really enjoying country music. It was certainly a more wholesome choice than rock, but I have come to realize that thinking is akin to saying PG-13 movies are more wholesome than R movies. Perhaps, but both fall woefully of any standard of holiness.
I still gravitate to Country music, especially classic country (newer stuff tends to blur the line with Pop too much for my taste). Admittedly, I still have to use discernment, as many Country songs often advocate or excuse much un-Christian-like behavior. Cheating (I don’t mean at cards), drinking, revenge, and other things you won’t find in the Beatitudes are common examples.  Even Country artist Aaron Watson (who isn’t shy about his Christianity, and has a wonderful testimony) missteps with some of his songs. Celebrating in music an “outlaw” lifestyle, covetousness (shiny cars, trucks, etc.), and intimacy (even if it is your wife), is a bit disappointing from a fellow believer.  Of course, he is just a fallen man like me, but when you put things out there for thousands (perhaps millions) to see/hear, while trumpeting your faith; you have to be extra careful. A mixed message is often worse than an outright contrary one when it comes to walking with the Lord.
It’s all kind of too bad, because I really believe Country has numerous examples of artists with strong Christian backgrounds. Many started singing in churches before they moved on to commercial success. The genre definitely lends itself to Christian themes such as love, patience, faith, salvation, and eternity. It can still be high quality music with upbeat rhythms and a lot of energy. It doesn’t have to be strictly Ballads to be non-offensive (Tracy Lawrence’s, The Rock is a great example).  There are plenty of other (what I would refer to as) secular Country artists that have tracks representing wonderful Christian themes. Montgomery Gentry, Brooks and Dunn, Trace Adkins, Brad Paisley, are just a few examples, but unfortunately, as much as I admire their talent, too much of their music promotes what Jesus wouldn’t do.
I’m not (even though it’s a bit in my nature) trying to be contentious in matters of doctrine or theology in general. I was convicted a bit the other day from a Grace Gems piece lamenting the amount of contention between brothers/sisters in Christ. But I don’t believe that one has to abandon an Ephesians 5 approach either. We are to identify areas that we need to avoid and sometimes to point these areas out to others. Life is largely about contending for many things, so certainly contending for the faith would have to come before contending for anything temporal.  I don’t believe for one second that any of the aforementioned artists will see this post. But if they did; I hope they would realize that God’s standards are being emphasized, not mine. My standards (or anyone else’s) don’t matter, that’s just moral relativism; plenty of that going around.
It’s funny how music and lyrics (especially Country) can put “lipstick on a pig”. I mean, my family will avoid objectionable movies and unwholesome social situations, but I’m not as diligent when it comes to what I listen to. So much Country music is (at least was) performed by wholesome looking, likable folks. Ok, so they would sing about sex out of wedlock, getting drunk, bending the law; they’re just some good ‘ol boys/or girls, right? Wrong. Regardless of how talented the artist is, or how their total body of work is pretty clean, if it promotes, condones, or even just glosses over lifestyles contrary to authentic Christianity, we are obligated to consider how it may be affecting our witness or our own walk with the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment