Saturday, December 1, 2018

Don't Have A Drink On Me

Similar to the motivation for my last blog I can comfortably say that the fight was brought to me. As I have a natural predilection to “spout off” on any number of subjects, I’ve considered my ability to resist (in person or in blog form) as a bit of “evidence” of my sanctification. Or maybe more accurately; evidence that water dripping on a granite mountainside actually can make a difference over time.

But the 800 pound Gorilla issue of Christians drinking alcohol has romped into my room and plopped right down on top of me...arrrh! My personal decision to stop drinking alcohol in 2010 was primarily driven by how I thought I could best represent Christ. But it was my personal decision. I didn’t expect every Believer to be a teetotaler, nor relegate those who aren’t to some lesser degree of salvation. Although I would identify with the Billy Sunday view of drinking (bad; don’t do it), I understand scripturally abstenism can’t be supported. And that’s where I want to start: what Scripture communicates, not what Billy Sunday, Chrysostom, or Dan Veith says.

Speaking of Chrysostom, ironically he was brought up in a piece presented by a pastor of the church we attend. You could say the logic of the article was borrowed from  “...guns don’t kill people, people kill people”. And while I actually ascribe to that as it applies to weapons (to a point), I recognize it’s flaws. Sure, people pick up the weapons or the alcohol, but if it wasn’t there in the first place; they wouldn’t have access. Yes, they might find other methods to achieve their ends, but then again; they might not. We could ride that merry-go-round till the cows come home (hows that for a couple of gratuitous cliches?). The article went on to represent casual, recreational (my words based on the tone) drinking as fine. Certainly nothing to be worried (or Heaven forbid) dogmatic about.

The piece starts with a flawed premise or perhaps it’s a designed straw-man argument: If there were no alcohol; there would be no sin. Or at least bad things would not happen. In fact, the author is clearly taking aim at those who don’t agree with a liberal attitude toward alcohol by painting them as simple-minded or extremist (or, worst of all: fundamentalist!). You can’t arrive at any other conclusion when examples such as “...if there were no steel, there’d be no murder; “...if there was no night, there’d be no thieves; and (my personal favorite) “...if there were no women, there’d be no adultery”. I’ll give Chrysostom the benefit of doubt and assume he’s just dropping some hyperbole or sarcasm on us; otherwise I just have to scratch my head in wonder and knead my hands in worry (this is coming from one of the great church fathers?). Not that I want to get into a back and forth with one of the brilliant men of Christendom, but a brilliant man is still an imperfect man and isn’t always right. So, what does the Bible say?

The only Scripture reference Chrysostom offers in support of drinking is 1 Tim 5 (the “go to” chapter for everyone of like mind). However, you don’t have to be a scholar to realize Paul is encouraging the use of alcohol in a purely medicinal sense for a specific situation back when medical science couldn’t offer any alternatives. To extrapolate that out to it being a “merry” blessing for all to enjoy is silly. God is not a God of confusion, so how do you juxtapose Prov. 20:1 and 23:19-35  against this “blessing”? Apart from Scripture; science, statistics, and the personal testimony of many (this writer included) provide enough evidence of the evils of alcohol. Alcohol is a poison. Cursory research of the effects it has on the human body will tell you that. Look up the number of alcohol related deaths from traffic accidents and homicides. Listen to alcoholics or their loved ones tell you of the “simple pleasure” of drinking. I have been involved in and personally witnessed ugly incidents (often involving family) that were fueled by alcohol.

I can hear it now: “...well, that’s alcohol abuse; people who can’t handle it.” I get it. As long as you drink “responsibly” right? That’s what the alcohol peddlers tell us. Well, what’s responsible? As long as you can drive safe, can talk coherently, can stand, don’t insult people, can make it to work the next day; blah, blah, blah, blah. I wonder if the untold number of people with ruined lives because of alcohol really wanted to be responsible; it just didn’t work out.

This brings me to the point I want to make clear. I understand the Bible condemns drunkenness, not drinking. But as far as I figure; if you have any alcohol ever, there’s a chance you may become drunk. If you never have any; well, you can see the conclusion. Every alcohol ruined life, started with the first sip (sounds responsible to me). So, every Believer can decide whether that’s worth the risk for themselves. Is it worth the risk to another Believer (or non-believer) that may see you having your “responsible” drink and decide they’ll give it a try too. Do you want to be the trigger for their lifetime of misery? Do you want to explain that decision to Jesus?

Like so many issues of Christian liberty, it should not be how much of the world's enjoyments can I partake in and not risk my rewards (or possibly salvation if you’re not of the Reformed camp). It should be an attitude of how does my conduct reflect one who is holy and separated unto Christ and his teachings. With the undeniable connection between alcohol consumption and sinful behavior, one who wants to walk as close to Christ as possible, should keep drinking as far away as the east is from the west.

I would reference a more contemporary source to further represent my thoughts on this matter.  David Cloud of Way of Life Ministries has written an article entitled: Christian Drinking is a Bell Weather Issue. He is a fundamentalist and admittedly errs a bit on the strict (or legalistic, as my wife says) side. But you can’t deny his zeal for the truth and his labor for the advancement of the Kingdom. And when it comes to this issue which has left such a legacy of destruction over the centuries, a strict stance is the only one any responsible person should take. And no one should be more responsible than a follower of Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. How can you say the best way to represent Christ is by not drinking alcohol when Jesus literally changed water into wine as his first miracle?

    ReplyDelete